Families » State/Federal Updates

State/Federal Updates

Assembly Bill 104, High School Grade Change & Retention
New Legislation July 2021


Assembly Bill 104, Retention


Parents/guardians of students who were in grades 11 and below during the 2020-21 school year who earned a D, F, or No Pass in at least half of their coursework during that school year, may request retention for the 2021-22 school year. You may request in writing a consultation meeting which will occur within 30 calendar days of the receipt of request. A decision will be made within 10 calendar days after the meeting. For more information, please contact your student’s school administration.


Assembly Bill 104, High School Grade Change


Parents/guardians may request a letter grade on a student’s transcript be changed to a Pass or No Pass for courses in which the student was enrolled during the 2020-21 school year. The request must be made within 15 calendar days of the posting of this message. The school will respond within 15 days of receipt of the request. After this window closes, no requests will be accepted. Post-secondary institutions that will accept the pass/no pass grades are CA State Universities. The University of California and other post-secondary institutions including those in California and in other states, may not accept the pass/no pass grades. Click here https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/ps/ab104surveyresults.asp for the California Department of Education’s list of postsecondary institutions accepting pass/no pass grades. If you would like to request a grade change, please complete the form (see link) and bring it to your high school within 15 days of the posting of this information. Please contact your high school administration if you would like more information.